From LCC, an update on parking regulations upon completion of the THI public realm works.
What is happening with the Project?
Phase One: 33 St James Street is a prominent building on the corner of Union Street and St James Street occupied by a RSPCA charity shop. Built as a purpose designed shop constructed during the mid Victorian period it as recently undergone extensive restoration and enhancement works delivered as part of the Bacup THI.
The approved works include the installation of new shop fronts based on authentic Victorian era shop front designs. The new shop front installation has included the provision of new timber signage fascias designed as part of an integrated shop front surround including timber cornices, consoles and pilasters. The new signage fascia’s, and proposed signage, replace a number of large white acrylic fascia signs previously fixed above external roller shutter boxes removed as part of the THI improvement works.
Pioneer Building is an important landmark building at the gateway to Bacup town centre on Rochdale Road. It was constructed by the Bacup Co-operative Society and opened as a department store in 1914. The buildings as recently undergone extensive restoration and enhancement works delivered through the Bacup THI.
These works include the installation of new shop fronts based on the orgininal shop front designs for the building from 1914. The new shop front installation as included the provision of new timber fascias that reinstate the orginal location for shop signage on the building frontage. These have replaced a continuous large white acrylic fascia with aluminium trim running the full length of the building, and individual shop signs in a variety of styles that obscured key areas of shop frontages allowing clearstorey glazing to be reinstated.
Watch a short video to hear comments from one of the properties completed in Phase 1 here.
Phase 2: has been completed. Many of the properties along St James Street have new Victorian style hardwood shop fronts, and new sash windows. The buildings have been haxcked out and the stonework cleaned. Once prepped they have been repointed using a hot lime mortar mix, a traditional mortar favoured for its ability to reduce damp ingress and to allow the building to breathe. All of the shop fronts have been painted in traditional colours from historic Bacup streetscenes. The colour for each building has been specifically chosen by the Conservation Officer and represents the types of colours used through the years by specific businesses; each building is as unique now as when it was being built.
Phase 3a and 3b works are nearing completion and the transformation has been outstanding. The shops are evolving on a daily basis and the building repairs are now almost complete. Continuing the sucess of the second pahse of properties, the remaining buildings also St James Street have also seen their architectural features restored. Another feature that has been included is the ornate gates and railings manufactured and installed by local company, Park Mill, which has replaced the roller shutters for the external protection of the building. These gates and railings sit along side thicker, tougher glass and also internal lattice shutters.
Here is Steve, from Broxton Signs (based in Weir), using the traditional method of hand painting the sign for D&A Gregory & Sons.
The THI project is also working in partnership with Lancashire County Council to deliver a public realm improvement scheme. Please click here for more information.